Monday, November 9, 2009

Learning journal

Dear journal. I have been sick for the past month. It is either death or swine flue. I’m falling behind on my assignments. And I can never seem to do these damn learning journals. Unfortunately due to my deteriorating health I was only able to attend one class last week. In this class we once again graciously discussed piracy but most importantly we discussed Johnny Depp. It was an interesting discussion but nothing really changed my mind on feeling that pirates were just dirt bag, rum drinking, rapists and thefts. Then my beliefs changed so much that I had to do a learning journal right after.

I think I found out why piracy was so appealing. Piracy was like joining the army except without the political pressure. Yet at the same time it was like resorting to a life of crime because they had no other options. After reading about the Somalia pirate situation I was hit by my misjudgement on pirates. Realizing I completely misinterpreted why pirates are the way they are I read more and more. I think one thing I read is really important the Somalia pirates turned this way because of illegal fishing in their community. They were mostly fisherman who lost their job because richer countries just went in and stole their resource. This is sad in many ways. One way it promotes the poor getting poorer as the richer get richer, secondly these men had to resort to a life of illegality and sin and thirdly these men were put in the worst of situations, they needed money, they had no opportunity or wealth it left them with only one thing to turn to. I think this is a lesson we can all take in our everyday life. Next time you see someone to something stupid, or say something ridiculous, find out why they are doing it or saying it, the reasoning could shock you.

No comments:

Post a Comment